Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Matthew Murray

“The media is reporting that Matthew Murray posted the following on the web: ”I’m coming for EVERYONE soon and I WILL be armed to the @#%$ teeth and I WILL shoot to kill. …God, I can’t wait till I can kill you people. Feel no remorse, no sense of shame, I don’t care if I live or die in the shoot-out. All I want to do is kill and injure as many of you … as I can especially Christians who are to blame for most of the problems in the world.”
Look at the last part of that quote closely. One wonders if Murray has been reading Dawkins or Dennett. By blaming the world’s ills on religious people do Dawkins and Dennett incite to hatred and make it more likely that tragedies of this sort can occur? I don’t know, but it is an interesting question.”

From Uncommon Decent
http://www.uncommondescent.com/

I think it is interesting how some fundamentalists are already trying to use the Colorado tragedy for propaganda purposes. I also think its despicable. A mentally ill Christian, disenfranchised from his church, resorts to terrible violence. It must be the atheists’ fault! They caused this senseless shooting because they dared to criticize religion. Perhaps the blame for the shooting could be better put on the New Life Church itself. How does a religious organization maintain the trust of its members when its founder is shown publically to be a criminal and a hypocrite? How can a church with a 10,000 plus congregation and 300,000 square feet of buildings provide real comfort to an individual? Can a minister, or ministers, understand the problems of particular family when they are shuffled like cattle through the repeated Sunday services?

Enough ranting though, the blame for these murders belongs to Matthew Murray and no one else. His weapons were used and his finger was on the trigger. He walked into the church with the intent of creating a tragedy and he succeeded. It was the foresight to have extra security, and the luck that those officers were in the right place, that prevented it from being a bloodbath. It is far too easy, and oh so wrong, to look for scapegoats in the aftermath. Murray was mentally ill, that is not an excuse for his crime, it is the reason he committed it. He was homeschooled and his home was apparently very troubled. This is an excerpt from another post that has been credited to Murray’s Internet nickname, nghtmrchld26:

“Me, I remember the beatings and the fighting and yelling and insane rules and all the Bill Gothard bull**** and then trancing out...sh**......I'm still tranced out. I remember how it was like every day was Mission Impossible trying to keep the rules or not get caught and just....survive every single f***ing day. My mother's a f***ing psycho too, her and her whole church and christian family.

Of course people will say the usual fake answers "just stop being this way and be happy from now on..." "we don't have the time and the energy to give a s*** about you..." "you're not the only one who has it bad" "I had it a lot worse than you and I'm happy and doing great" "you're not popular you know...no one likes you very much"

I'll take Dawson's advice to Devin:
"it's almost like you've come back from a war and are having flashbacks" "ONE MORE, just ONE MORE bit of psychological abuse from your mother and you WALK, you are OUT THAT DOOR saying 'I won't live like this anymore EVER'."

I'm not getting any younger and it's time for the abuse to stop. Just because I'm not one of the "Beautiful People," just because other people don't understand or because I'm not "popular" does not mean I need to take any more s*** from anyone.”


Murray was an angry and disturbed young man, I don’t know if the anger was justified or not and at this point it doesn’t matter. Anger to that extent has to come out. Murray chose a tragic way of expressing it.

No comments: