Saturday, December 15, 2007

Baby's First Mythos

Laying in the ocean's darkest and deepest depths, what can the dreaming god of evil Cthulhu teach your first born spawn?

How about the ABC's!

Someone with a twisted and dark sense of humor, namely the authors C. J. Henderson and Erica Henderson, have illustrated a children’s book with H.P. Lovecraft’s Great Old Ones. If torturing the souls of your offspring is a passing entertainment for you, then take a look at this book.

In my youth, I was an avid reader. Going through four or five books a week wasn’t unusual, but of everything I read, H.P. Lovecraft was the only author who seriously frightened me. The first thing I read of his was the “Colour Out of Space,” which kept me awake for hours one evening. So of course, I had to go out and read everything else he wrote. Lovecraft created a universe populated with ancient evils that not only caught my imagination, but many others. Although not a popular author in his lifetime, he’s now recognized as one of the founders of the horror genre. With the Internet his popularity has only grown, and the Lovecraft universe continues, his “Call of Cthulhu,” has been made in to an independent film, a card game, and a computer game. Many authors have expanded Lovecraft’s icons in to their own works, and his creature Cthulhu is now satirically running for president, “At least he admits he’s evil.” So if you’re a fan of Lovecraft’s look at “Baby's First Mythos” book. It is an unusual example of fans honoring a great author.


I recall that the people went about with pale and worried faces, and whispered warnings and prophecies which no one dared consciously repeat or acknowledge to himself that he had heard. A sense of monstrous guilt was upon the land, and out of the abysses between the stars swept chill currents that made men shiver in dark and lonely places.

"Nyarlathotep"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cthulu's got a big uh, I guess you could say cult following these days. That's not just a pun, I mean it--people actually make Cthulu jokes on college campuses.